Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) is a prosurvival factor induced by cortical neurons that is necessary for survival of striatal neurons in the brain. It is a secreted protein with the molecular weight of 27.8kDa, consisting of 247 amino acids. It is known to promote neuronal survival and differentiation. BDNF shares substantial amino acid sequence identity with nerve growth factor (NGF). BDNF and neurotrophin-3 (NT-3) are two recently cloned neurotrophic factors that are homologous to NGF. mRNA products of the BDNF and NT-3 genes are detected in the adult human brain, suggesting that these proteins are involved in the maintenance of the adult nervous system. BDNF and other neurotrophins are critically involved in long-term potentiation (LTP).BDNF-mediated LTP is induced postsynaptically. BDNF has trophic effects on serotonergic (5-HT) neurons in the central nervous system. BDNF has an essential maintenance function in the regulation of anxiety-related behavior and in food intake through central mediators in both the basal and fasted state. It plays a role in treating breathing disorders such as respiratory insufficiency after spinal injury. The mature form of BDNF is identical in all mammals examined, and the gene encoding human BDNF is assigned to chromosome 11, band p13.
ScienCell's human BDNF ELISA Kit is based on standard sandwich enzyme-linked immune-sorbent assay technology. Human BDNF specific-specific polyclonal antibodies are precoated onto 8 x 12 divisible strips. The human specific detection monoclonal antibodies are biotinylated. The test samples and biotinylated detection antibodies are subsequently added to the wells and then washed with PBS or TBS buffer. Avidin-Biotin-Peroxidase Complex is added and unbound conjugates are washed away with PBS or TBS buffer. HRP substrate TMB is used to visualize HRP enzymatic reaction. TMB is catalyzed by HRP to produce a blue color product that changes into yellow after adding acidic stop solution. The intensity of yellow is proportional to the amount of human BDNF that is captured in the strips.
|Country of Manufacture||United States|
|Product Use||This product is for research use only. It is not approved for use in humans, animals, or in vitro diagnostic procedures.|
|Storage||Store at 4°C For Frequent use, at -20°C For infrequent use. Avoid multiple Freeze-thaw cycles.|
|Shipping Info||Shipped on gel ice.|
|References||1. Jones, K. R.; Reichardt, L. F. Molecular cloning of a human gene that is a member of the nerve growth factor family. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 87: 8060-8064, 1990.
2. Kovalchuk, Y.; Hanse, E.; Kafitz, K. W.; Konnerth, A.Postsynaptic induction of BDNF-mediated long-term potentiation. Science 295: 1729-1734, 2002.
3. Lyons, W. E.; Mamounas, L. A.; Ricaurte, G. A; Coppola, V.; Reid, S. W.; Bora, S. H.; Wihler, C.; Koliatsos, V. E.; Tessarollo, L.Brain-derived neurotrophic factor-deficient mice develop aggressiveness and hyperphagia in conjunction with brain serotonergic abnormalities. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 96: 15239-15244, 1999.
4. Rios, M.; Fan, G.; Fekete, C.; Kelly, J.; Bates, B.; Kuehn, R.; Lechan, R. M.; Jaenisch, R.Conditional deletion of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the postnatal brain leads to obesity and hyperactivity.Molec. Endocr.15: 1748-1757, 2001.
5. Baker-Herman, T. L.; Fuller, D. D.; Bavis, R. W.; Zabka, A. G.; Golder, F. J.; Doperalski, N. J.; Johnson, R. A.; Watters, J. J.; Mitchell, G. S. BDNF is necessary and sufficient for spinal respiratory plasticity following intermittent hypoxia. Nature Neurosci. 7: 48-55, 2004.
6. Maisonpierre, P. C.; Le Beau, M. M.; Espinosa, R., III; Ip, N. Y.; Belluscio, L.; de la Monte, S. M.; Squinto, S.; Furth, M. E.; Yancopoulos, G. D.Human and rat brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neurotrophin-3: gene structures, distributions and chromosomal localizations. Genomics 10: 558-568, 1991.
Are you a regular user of ScienCell products? If so, tell us how you like our products by writing a review and receive a discount for your future purchase.
Has your paper been published using one or more of Sciencell products? Get rewarded! Receive 10% off one order*. See details >>
No Publication available at this time
Certificate of Analysis
Certificate of Analysis for Human BDNF ELISA Kit does not exist
For specific lot number search below:
Click on Questions to view answers:
There are no product questions yet.